Meet Young Farming Champion Sharna Holman. She is crazy about cotton. Have a 10 minute conversation with her and you will be crazy about cotton too.
Read Sharna’s story in AGWomenGlobal here
Sharna will be presenting the Cotton or Not workshop at the Sydney Royal Easter Show Primary School Preview Day. Sharna’s hands on workshop will share with the students how Cotton plays a big part in our everyday lives. We sleep in it, dry ourselves with it, wrap our bodies in it and we even cook with its oil. And it’s produced by Aussie cotton growers right here under the Australian sun.
In fact right down Eastern Seaboard from Clermont in Queensland to just over the Victorian border. You can even find Cotton at the back of Bourke
Sharna is a city kid, introduced to agriculture at school. She fell in love with the cotton industry and is super keen for young people to follow her into the industry. In fact there are careers in Cotton from A to Z
We can all be very proud of our Cotton industry and Australian Cotton farmers
Some interesting facts for you
- In an average year, Australia’s cotton growers produce enough cotton to clothe 500 million people.
- Australia is the most water efficient cotton producing country in the world. Source
- Australia and Egypt produce the best quality cotton in the world. Our cotton is the whitest and strongest. Source
- The Australian Cotton industry attracts young people like Sharna. Even their farmers are young. The average age of Cotton farmers is 39 and 40% of cotton farmers are female
- And its good for the planet. Net on-farm emissions of greenhouse gases on cotton farms are negative because cotton plants store more carbon than is released from production inputs used during growth.
Primary School students can meet Sharna at Stand No 13 on 22nd March 2018
Secondary Students can hear from and chat to Sharna at the Careers Workshop below
#youthvoices18 #youthinag #welovecotton #wearnatural